martedì 20 marzo 2007

Where can people with special needs obtain dental care?

The ADA Council on Access, Prevention and Interprofessional Relations suggests the following tips:

* Inform the dentist about your special health or financial conditions.

* Ask if the dentist has training and/or experience in treating patients with your specific condition.

* Ask if the dentist has an interest in treating patients with your specific condition.

* Find out if the dentist participates in your dental benefit plan (dental insurance program.)

* Ask if the dental facility is accessible to the disabled.

In addition, the Council suggests that patients with special needs

* Call or write the dental director at your state department of public health.

* Contact the nearest dental school clinic or hospital dental department, especially if it is affiliated with a major university.

* Contact the Special Care Dentistry (Formerly Federation of Special Care Organizations in Dentistry, the Academy of General Dentistry and the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry for a referral.

* Also, the National Oral Health Information Clearinghouse may have useful information.

* Contact the National Foundation of Dentistry for the Handicapped (NFDH), a charitable affiliate of the American Dental Association since 1988. The NFDH, via several programs, facilitates the provision of comprehensive dental care for needy disabled, elderly, and medically compromised individuals.

* Dentists and dental institutions organizing or participating in voluntary projects that care for uninsured and underserved patients will find information, and grant opportunities through Volunteers in Health Care (VIH). VIH Program staff are available to assist you at the toll-free number 1-877-844-8442.

Nessun commento: